Brisbane fashion company Rant Sustainable Clothing recently renovated its combined home-office to align with its business values. Its efforts were recognised when Brisbane architect Borgelt and Craig Architects won the Built Environment Award for the project at the 2016 Premier’s Sustainability Awards.
The Built Environment Award was presented to Borgelt and Craig Architects by category sponsor CitySmart at the awards presentation dinner in November. Now in its seventh year, the Premier’s Sustainability Awards aims to raise the profile of business sustainability as way to drive business competitiveness.
Borgelt and Craig transformed Rant’s small suburban house at The Gap into a multi-functional home-studio. As the Rant Sustainable Clothing business grew, the husband and wife business couple of Sarah Garrett-Hodoniczky and Jason Hodoniczky made the decision to reduce their carbon footprint further by fine-tuning their existing house as a home-studio, rather than leasing or buying a larger business space.
The building embodies each of the core principles of the Rant’s clothing business – ethical, natural, local – with the architects sourcing affordable, local, sustainable and recycled materials (e.g. salvaged floor joists) and products from businesses in the Brisbane area.
The home-studio now uses 50 per cent less water than the average household and 90 per cent of its power comes from on-site solar panels. Energy, water and waste are all substantially minimised for the business by working from within their home environment.
Key features of the building include:
- 5kW solar PV panels
- Hot water continuous flow gas
- Jalousie external louvres with Pilkington Solar E glass
- Low VOC (low Volatile Organic Compounds) water-based timber floor finish
- Low VOC wall and ceiling paint
- Recycled timber beams and posts
- Salvaged hardwood floor joists
- Plantation timbers/ply joinery and panels
- Energy efficient heat pump dryer
- Water Tanks and energy saving LED lights
Borgelt and Craig Architects also won recognition for the Rant project at the Australian building industry’s 2015 Sustainability Awards.
- Visit Rant Sustainable Clothing and Borgelt and Craig Architects
- See the full list of 2016 Premiers Sustainability Award winners